The Arca-Swiss C1 Cube Geared Head allows users to place their heavy cameras with a degree of accuracy they could never have had before except in exchange for a large increase in weight. The C1 Cube has finely calibrated ungeared panning adjustments under and above ±28° x-y geared axes with adjustable tension. The bottom axis allows you to center the Cube’s controls to your position, then readjust the camera to point dead ahead with the upper axis.
On top of the C1 Cube there are 2 sensitive bubble levels and an Arca-Swiss flip-lock quick release clamp which has its own advantages in compactness and security. Given all that’s going on here, the weight’s astonishingly low at 2.03 lbs.
The C1 Cube’s ultimate advantage lies in the world of macro shooting, where its design allows far fewer focusing readjustments while creating images. You see, all other geared heads execute movements upon circular axes which are centered far below the actual camera-your gear moves along the outside of a sphere. The C1 Cube, however, places the camera inside of a sphere. This remarkably difficult engineering feat was chosen to minimize movements of the optical system’s entrance pupil during composing, making for speedier field work free of perpetual height and focus adjustments.
Note: Requires Arca-Swiss type quick release plate.
- Two-stage flip lock quick release lever
- Sophisticated engineering, beginning with a single hunk of metal
- Designed in Switzerland and manufactured in France
- Movements allow camera’s image plane to stay relatively stationary, easing macro work
- Geared x-y axes with adjustable gear tension and 28° of motion
- Third 62° tilt-only axis underneath geared adjustments so that any camera can reach the 90° vertical position
- Rubberized knobs easily manipulated in cold and with gloves